Saturday, July 28, 2007-Monday, July 30, 2007, Days 46-48: Yay! I am back online, and it is GOOD to be back!! My weekend was AWESOME! hehe!

Friday after work I went to buy a monitor at this place called Future Shop. It's the Canadian Best Buy, essentially. It's a pretty nice one by LG, and it is a 19". The funny thing is, The screen is so wide and the font is so big, I feel like I have really Granny eyesight. I tried to fix the font size, but then it was too small. I guess there is no happy medium. At least I can read my email all the way from the kitchen! Haha! I actually have to take it back in 2 weeks, because that's the return policy on it. I am debating whether I will get another one or not. Then Saturday, David cam and picked me up at 11am, and we went to meet up with his friends: Marc, Stephanie, Guillaume, Olivier, Liza, Simon, Jie, and J-something Chinese. We all left around noon (In David's car it was me, David, Marc, and Stephanie), and stopped to get lunch at this restaurant called St. Hubert. It's like the Canadian version of McDonald's--all they really have is chicken, but it's a little more upscale. It was good! After that, we continued along to Quebec City. The Cirque du Soleil show was at 4pm, and we arrived there at like 3:55pm--perfect timing! The show was soooo amazing--better than I had imagined!!! It was funny, it had great music and great acrobatics, and it was just phenomenal. The show was in French and English, which was cool. Actually, all of David's friends spoke French, and so the whole weekend I probably spoke about 20 words of English. I was proud of myself. David's friend Simon talked with a thick Quebec accent, and he talked really, really fast. Now, I remember from my French phonetics class that many syllables get dropped, and it is definitely true with David and his friends. For example, "petit," (pronounced peh-tee) becomes "pti" (pronounced ptee, all one sound). It's hard for me to understand what seems at first like mumbo jumbo. I usually got it the second time around, but I think David's friends may have the impression I am hard of hearing, from always saying, "What?" and "Excuse me?" and "Could you repeat that please?" It was really great to speak with everyone individually, and just to listen to each one talk. They were all really interested in how I learned French, and impressed how well I could understand and make conversation. Simon asked if my professor of French was from France, because he said that's what my accent sounded like. I took that as a compliment!! It was really cool.

So after the show, we checked into our hotel and dropped off our bags, and then went to eat dinner at this really nice French/Italian resto. Let me back up a little. So, after the show we tried to find this restaurant that David had Google mapped, but it didn't exist! We drove around for almost an hour, and finally went to the hotel. The restaurant we ended up going to was really great. I was going to order spaghetti, but then I thought to myself, "Shelly, you dummy, that's all you ever eat at home!" And so I jokingly pointed to frog legs on the menu to David, and he told me I should try them. So I did! I am not afraid to try things when it comes to food. At first when they were put in front of me, I was a little grossed out, and sad, because it was like the frog's legs from the pelvis down, and their legs were crossed. They were cooked, of course, but all I could think of was the pet frog, Kermit, I used to have when I was younger. I sucked it up and just tried a piece, and it's true what they say--it DOES taste like chicken!!! It was actually really good, even without sauce! I had a little bit of red wine also, but I almost gagged. I just can't drink red wine anymore!! It's awful tasting to me!! Then, after dinner, we all headed back to the hotel and went to bed. The next morning we woke up and left at about 10am, and we went out to breakfast at this British place that had crepes. I am not the biggest fan of crepes...they are just anorexic pancakes. I had French toast instead (although the French don't call it that...they call it toasts passion or something like that, haha). It was good!!! Then we explored the city, and it was beautiful. I saw the oldest church in North America, and the city itself is like 400 years old!!! Craziness!!

I took TONS of pictures. It was a good time. Olivier and David kept singng, "The summer of quelquechose" (which means "something" in French), until finally I was like, "The summer of '69? Bryan Adams?" Then I pulled out my iPod and made them listen to it. They were laughing. I, too, enjoy that song very much. It was fun. I love it when David bursts out into random songs that I know. One day we were walking and he was like, "We all live in a yellow submarine!" It was so great. After our tour, I returned home with Jie and the other J-something-Chinese guy. We got to my apartment at 8pm. I was tired!!! It was such a great weekend though. Then--I went to get the garbage which was in the kitchen closet, and there were holes in 2 of the bags!! I didn't think much of it at first, and I just shrugged it off. But then I took the garbage out and came back in the house and I heard what sounded like scratching or chewing coming from the closet!! I started freaking out like crazy, and shoved a towel under the door, in case it was a mouse, then it wouldn't be able to come out. I am not even afraid of mice, but it's the surprise factor that would scare the crap out of me. I tried to get my landlord, but she wasn't home. So I just kept my room door shut and prayed the mouse would go elsewhere (or whatever it was!) I figured I would take care of the problem Monday, by buying traps. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't want to kill it. I d feel pretty horrible. I don't even like killing bugs. I would rather catch them and set them free outside. When I came home from work, I braved it, removed the towel from under the door, got a laundry basket (to capture the little bugger of course), and swung open the door. See, the thing is, I felt I had to conquer the fear for a couple of reasons. Number one, I am like 10x the size of the mouse, and therefore should win this battle. Number two, I don't want it eating all of MY food that I bought. And number three, I don't want to live in fear in my own home. And I don't want to clean up mouse poop either. Lo and behold, whatever "it" was had gone, so I was able to get the mop, vacuum cleaner, and broom from the closet, with no problem at all. Yay! And today was a great day at work. I got to make a lot of phone calls, which is always fun, and the day went fast because I had a lot to do. For lunch, John, Rosalind, and I went to Dundee's, where Cara works. I got my fave drink ever--the Miami Vice! I was so excited. After work, I came home and then went grocery shopping. Then I came home and cleaned like a madwoman! I looooove cleaning, because it is therapeutic for me, and it relieves stress. And I like that it produces results. I never get sick of it either! I could just clean all day long and be happy. I vacuumed and mopped for the most part, which was good, and all the while played my iPod and danced around. I will be such a good housewife someday, haha. You know, cleaning goes so unappreciated too, because most people just don't have or don't take the time to clean. I promise you, if you came to my apartment, it would be immaculate. You could walk around barefoot on the hardwood floors and not feel like you had dirty feet afterwards. You could lick the walls and doors too, because I scrubbed those, but I wouldn't recommend it. This isn't like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory--they taste like Pine-Sol probably, and not Schnozzberries. Anyways, may it be known that I put good old-fashioned elbow grease and get my work-out from cleaning, and I love it. ok, enough of my babble, I am going to bed soon. Talk to you tomorrow! :)
1 comment:
Yay! Good one.
Post a Comment