Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 5

Thursday, June 14, 2007, Day 5: Whew! What a day! I just got back home, and it is quarter after nine! And no, I didn't get lost! I left work early with Rosalind to go on a 3 hour tour of Montreal!! It was sooo amazing!! I'll get to that in a bit though. So, for lunch I went down to the caf. like usual, and got my sandwich and soup. I was sitting there eating for like 10 mins, when Andrea, a wonderful co-worker of mine that is around my age, came down and offered to show me around the city a little. So we chatted while I finished my vegetable soup, and I told her all about NHF's restructuring and what roles that chapters play, etc (the Reader's Digest version at least, or we would have been there for hours!) Then I stuffed the other half of my sandwich in my purse and we walked around the downtown area on St. Catherine Street. It was hopping at lunchtime! It reminded me a lot of New York City with all the busyness, and tons of people in business suits walking around, and the traffic. There were tons of stores on both sides of the street, and restaurants too. They actually had an American Eagle! Andrea told me it was the first one they opened. I would shop there at some point but what fun would that be? We already have THOSE, haha. Then we went back to work. The day went really fast, but I spent a lot of time in Rosalind's office talking to her, so that was fun. She is such a great lady, and I love working for her. I found out some sad news today though. My intern buddy, Eduardo, will be leaving us by next Friday. He is the son of a diplomat, which means that for some reason he cannot work for WFH. So now we are in search of another student to replace him. He is really cool, so that is a major bummer. Then, Rosalind had a meeting, and when it was over, we had to dash out the door. We left at like 4:10pm, and we had to run to the bus stop to catch a shuttle bus to Concordia University (Conn U) for our tour. We got to Conn U, and we went inside this huge beautiful old church to get some water to drink, and then we came back outside to wait for the tour to start. We got lunches with the tours, or dinners I guess, which consisted of 2 veggie rolls and a can of delicious fruit soda. Mmmm! I always get so excited for free food, haha!! So then, we had an awesome tour guide who knew so much about the city (well, duh, it's her job), but she was really energetic and funny. She told us we would be stopping for a humanitarian break (A.K.A a potty break!) and also that the reason we got food is because she didn't want anyone going into a diabetic coma while on the bus! Haha! The actual tour was so great! We got to get off the bus like 7 times. We stopped at this beautiful park sorta close to where I live. I'm told there are free shows and concerts and stuff there, so I think I might check it out this weekend! I'll bring a book and just lie under a tree and be lazy the whole day. Then, we walked through a "green alley" which basically is an alley that people plant tons and tons of plants along both sides so that it looks really asthetically pleasing. I was so impressed with all the ivy and greenery! There were balconies galore, and it was soooo pretty! Then, at the end of the alley there was this gigantic rose bush with the most amazing pink roses I have ever seen in my life!! I wanted to pick one, but Rosalind told me not to. There was a sign that made me bust out laughing because it said something to the effect of: "Put your trash in the garbage and keep your dog's crap out of the alley!" It actually said caca! I know, I am immature. But one thing I noticed is that many words here are very unique...by that I mean they are not the typical French words that I have learned..they are Quebecois. For example, parking lot is "stationnement" here, and in French as I learned it is "le parking". Somewhat more French sounding, but a little awkward and long! The Quebecois are a bit funny about their naming here. Also, KFC, you know, Kentucky Fried Chicken is PFK-poulet frit de Kentucky? And McDonald's is just McDonald, or McDo. I mean, come on! Globalization is bad, but it made me laugh to see that! Also, it is a law here that all street signs must have the French word two times the size of the English word. Rosalind and I were laughing because that means if you speak only English (you are called an anglophone), and you are visiting Montreal and taking the metro, you probably cannot understand the sign that says, "Emergency exit." So all the English people will die, basically if something happens. LOL! I love it. I feel smart knowing these things too, haha, but I am just a language nerd I guess. I feel like I am learning so much here. Not just what my job entails, but the daily life (la vie) of Montreal. It is awesome because my brain feels energized...it is always being challenged, and doesn't get to rest! Well, I am pooped. But it has been a great day...and one more to go until the weekend! YAY! Shelly Mattson, signing off.
P.S. My roommates left this morning for a weekend trip to New York. I think I'll have a dance party....in my underwear!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think what you're seeing is "glocalization"- globalization customized to local cultures and tastes. Some say this is an ideal compromise between local and global cultures. A vous de juger!