Sunday, June 17, 2007

Day 7/8

Saturday, June 16, and Sunday, June 17, 2007, Day 7/8: I decided to take a break from blogging for at least one day, and just do one for the weekend. Sorry to all you dedicated readers (Mainly, Mike)! So yesterday, I tried to sleep in, but I was up at my normal wake-up for work time...7:00am. I got up, showered, and then headed over to PharmaPrix to pick up some breakfast items. I actually found a gallon of WHOLE milk! I was so excited! I bought that, some Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and a few other odds and ends. Then I returned to my apartment, ate breakfast, and got ready to go shopping at the big sidewalk sale on St. Laurent! I was so excited when I got there, because it reminded me so much of Summerfest. For those of you who are not Wisconsinites, Summerfest is the world's largest music festival that takes place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for 9 days. All kinds of musical talent comes there...little and big names. I was supposed to see John Mayer there this summer, but it's kinda hard to make a day trip there, haha. They have food and shopping and water sports and entertainment...it's pretty awesome. I worked at a hot dog stand there (Martino's Italian Beef Stand) so unfortunately it has lost some of its appeal for me...but nevertheless, it's always good to have a reminder of home every now and then. The other day coming home from work, I saw a sign in the window of a corner store for Milwaukee's Best beer (we call is Beast because it is really just gross, but it's cheap!), so that was cool! My shopping experience was fun...I bought a necklace, a shirt, and capris for pretty cheap, and a birthday gift for a certain special person who's birthday is coming up in 2 weeks! I bought a lemonade (une limonade) that was pretty bitter and terrible, and some strawberries (des fraises) and cherries (des cerises). And I stopped to make some phone calls at a payphone. I talked to some of my family members: my dad, my Auntie Bonnie, and my cousin Jamie. It was so great to hear their voices! I haven't talked to anyone in a while, so it was nice to have a little bit of home! I talked to my sister for a little while too, but my mom wasn't around. I was bummed, but I would talk to her later. Then I headed back to the apartment. I was pooped! I sat down and wrote some mail, watched Seinfeld, ate all my cherries, and then took a nice little nap. I was exhausted!! I woke up, and then went across the street to the park, and there was a yard sale going on there! I stopped by to check it out, bought some junk for $1.00, and made a new friend! This girl, Laura, started talking to me in French, and then stopped mid-sentence and was like, "Wait, do you understand French?" And I was like, "Yes!" Apparently some customers before me she had been talking to were not responding because they only knew English, haha. I told Laura (in French!) I was new to the area, showed her where I lived, told her about school and work, and we chatted about other things. Oh, and she asked what hemophilia was. That's always a fun one to explain...in French! She told me she does swing dance on Fridays and invited me to come along! I told her I would think about it. She was awesome! She also had 2 sisters there helping her out, and they were very nice as well. Then, I took a few pictures of the park and my apartment because I hadn't done that yet. That is not typical for me, I am such a shutterbug! I just always forget to bring my camera with me when I go places here. I was still feeling a bit lazy because it was hot outside, so I chatted with my good friend Josh online for quite a while. Then I watched Hitch, and my roommates returned. We are doing a dinner thing together tonight, so I will tell you how it goes in tomorrow's blog. After Hitch, I decided to watch 40 Year Old Virgin because I had never seen it. It was pretty funny. I talked to my mom for a while, so that was nice. We have been emailing back and forth mostly, so it was nice to hear her voice. Then I went to bed. It rained over night, and cooled down a lot. Sunday morning, I woke up early, showered, and met Rosalind for breakfast. We walked to Tim Horton's and got some breakfast there. I ordered a "Tim Matin" (matin is morning) Which is an English muffin with cheese, egg, and sausage. Mmmm! I also got a chocolate frosted donut and milk.


My appetite has been pretty healthy since being here. Then Rosalind and I walked to mass at St. Patrick's Basilica. It is huge! And so beautiful. It was constructed in 1843, so you can just imagine how old and pretty it is. Mass was really nice. Afterwards, Rosalind and I walked around and she showed me Old Montreal. The roads there are still cobblestone. And of course, we stopped to shop at Winner's once we got back to St. Catherine's Street. I found 3 shirts I really liked on the sale rack. Haha. I need to stay away from Winner's or I am going to become a broke loser! Then, Rosalind showed me around the gym she goes to. I am thinking about a membership, but we'll see. I definitely need to watch my money...I am trying to save! So on the way back to my apartment, the sky opened up and it was torrentially downpouring for like 10 mins! I ducked into a phone booth and took advantage of my phone cards, to wish my papa a happy Father's Day! I still ended up soaked though. I tell ya, never a dull moment with this girl! Then once the rain let up, I walked home, and here I am! I can't believe the weekend is almost over already!! Craziness!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Next time you go to PharmaPrix, look for maple cookies. They are awesome!